For the hundreds of people who have asked us what are you going to do with the church, we wish it was a matter of cleaning up a little and saying it is available to rent for your next function.
Here is a partial list
- Asbestos needs to be addressed
- Water damaged plaster ceiling needs to be repaired
- Walls and ceiling cleaned and painted
- Plumbing- needs a working bathroom
- Heating – furnace has not been used since 2011 and much of the baseboard heat pipes are split
- Worn carpeting removed from main floor of church – old carpeting was glued
- Wooden floors repaired, sanded and polyed
- Lower broken/cracked windows repaired
- Exterior stairs – 2 possibly 3 sets and walkways
- Handicap accessibility
If you have time to volunteer, there is plenty of work to be done.
As the outside work progresses, It is time to focus on the inside work. After 2 years of addressing the water issues which included removing trees, removing paved driveway and 12 inches of gravel around foundation, repairing and waterproofing basement bricks, replacing the majority of the basement windows, replacing upper windows, insulating roof and installing new metal roof the building is dry inside!
So far on the inside we have removed water and mold damage cabinets.
Cleaned moldy folding doors in basement.
Unfortunately all the paneling, sheetrock and insulation in the basement had to be removed due to mold and years of water damage .
The next phase is to focus on the main level. Ceiling needs repair and the walls, trim and ceiling need to be painted.
These beautiful 15 foot oak pews need to be sold. Do you know a church or other organization looking to purchase pews?
Do you want to own a piece of Vassalboro history?
Do you want to help us preserve this landmark building ?
Stop by and/or contact us at rachel.kilbride at gmail.com
This is the cross that was on top of the steeple…
They have begun to install the scallop siding.
Unfortunately the original windows have to be replaced. We hope to find another purpose for them.
The work continues…
Windows are in. Roof is insulated. Old exterior basement staircase is being removed.
Parking lot side…windows installed